Last night marked the unveiling of the FENCING MASTERS ROADSHOW!
Held at the Baryshnikov Arts Center before a crowd of 200 people the event featured fencing matches between Olympians Nicole Ross and Nzhingha Prescod and Daryl Homer versus Tim Morehouse. The choir from Democracy Prep sang the national anthem, we premiered the Fencing in the Schools promo video we made with the prestigious Sunshine Sachs company and also had our “How to Watch Fencing” demonstration.
The event was part of the Fencing in the Schools Kick-Off and helped to generate $37,000 dollars to help fund 1500+ kids at 6 schools in Harlem to have fencing! Thank you to everyone who donated and there is still time if you’d like to contribute: http://www.crowdrise.com/fencingintheschools2013
Here is what we accomplished last night with your help:
- FUNDRAISING: We raised over $37,000 dollars to get 1500+ kids fencing in Harlem including an Olympic assembly for all the kids where we will pay our Olympian ambassadors $500 for doing the assembly to also support their Olympic Dreams. These kids will also become fans of our sport and athletes through our program and hopefully follow Daryl Homer, Nzhingha Prescod, Nicole Ross and others to Rio.
- EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS: We created a promo video for the foundation that goes into the benefits of fencing and with a CALL TO ACTION for schools if they want fencing to come to us!Here is Link: http://youtu.be/0mrqG50qZlg
- FENCING ON TV: The fencing match last night will air on Universal Sports in 3 weeks. The network reaches 40 Million homes across the country and they paid for the TV production. This will continue to give us a great platform to bring additional corporate sponsors onboard.
- BUILDING RELATIONSHIP WITH KEY CONSTITUENTS: Last night, we had the CEO of Universal Sports and their board attending, representatives from Sabra Hummus along with a few potential additional corporate sponsors.
- MEDIA: We were featured on WPIX 11 morning show, FOX 5 NYC did a profile, the Daily News has a piece coming out, Maxim.Com attended and is doing a video, the US Olympic Committee put out a press release, is doing an article AND tweeted to their 250,000+ followers about the event and the images will be on WIRE IMAGE where they can be picked up by additional media outlets. We were also covered by a website called GUESTofaGuest.
- FENCING TECHNOLOGY: We continue to try to find new and fun ways to show fencing. We built 2 huge REPEATER LIGHTS that we can use in all our shows. The large FENCING sign you see and there is a MASTERS on the other side both LIGHT UP and serve as scoring lights for some added WOW factor.